Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:28:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Ion Badulescu wrote:

> > *This* is how device naming should work - devices have names based
> > on *what* they are, not *where* they happen to be right now.
>
> Perhaps so. It certainly makes sense to do it for metadevices drives,
> since it pretty much eliminates the risk of assembling them in the wrong
> order. But for regular disks it's just an extra hassle, an extra level of
> indirection which buys me very little. Disks tend to move between
> machines, *not* to change scsi id's or controllers on the same machine.
> When I add a new disk to a host I have to care about chains and id's
> anyway, so from there to the scsidev default naming convention is a very
> quick transition.

I agree. In the case of disk, the vast majority of the time you do in
fact care about what hardwear path the disk has. The point of doing it
this way is when you add a disk, you know where the hell it is even before
you boot. I like this.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.