Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:53:34 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ion Badulescu wrote:

> Oh.. glad you brought this one up. I've asked this before, and I'm asking
> again: who had the "brilliant" idea to change the ordering in enum scsi_inos
> between 2.0 and 2.1??? Breaking compatibility just for the fun of it -- and
> I mean literally. It buys us nothing and it breaks scsidev big time.
>
> I have a patch which I maintain locally for each machine using scsidev; all
> it does is it changes the order back to the 2.0 one. I've submitted it in
> the past and it got ignored... I'm willing to do it again, but I have a
> feeling it's gonna have the same fate.

If you are using scsidev why on earth do you care? Using scsidev you
can assign names based on the manufacturer, model and serial number
that SCSI devices return in response to INQUIRY commands. Forget
host ids, channels, targets, luns and all that bollocks :-).

I have a machine here, 7 disks, 6 in RAID groups using md, 3 SCSI
controllers. The disks in /dev/md0 are /dev/scsi/md0-1 and
/dev/scsi/md0-2. Similar for the other groups. I have merrily
swapped drives between controllers and even swapped controllers
for completely different types. Never a worry. Scsidev finds the
disks where ever they are and gives them the right names.

*This* is how device naming should work - devices have names based
on *what* they are, not *where* they happen to be right now.

(I did, however, change scsidev to handle backslashed end of lines
and to have an option to generate an initial scsi.alias. I'll dig
the changes out and release them sometime if someone reminds me
at frequent intervals :-) )

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |