Re: SMBFS: Question...

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
5 Aug 1998 08:06:47 GMT

Followup to: <35C7AE20.B0DA11C5@pobox.com>
By author: Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> > A way to hook this out of the "mount" command would definitly be
> > sweet, let's just not loose sight of the compatibility issues this time.
>
> I'm surprised no one else has done this yet... Here's a perl script that
> will call either regular mount or (classic) smbmount (or new with the
> wrapper). It seems to work for me, but I provide no warranty for it
> working for anyone else in any circumstances! Feel free to tune to your
> preferences.
>
> Note that this will almost certainly _not_ work for smbfs partitions
> listed in /etc/fstab, you'll need to specify at least service name
> (//server/service) and mount point on the command line.
>
> Enjoy!

There really needs to be a generic hook in mount for this... someone
needs to coordinate this with Andries Brower though. It would really
help autofs though, especially if the mount plugin could use
capability names compatible with the current version of autofs (which
right now does its own mangling of parameters, which I really hate
doing.)

-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key