Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Wed, 05 Aug 1998 02:26:21 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> > It is clear that dev_fs will not be in Linux 2.2. Companies are willing
> > work with a "standard" (whatever that is) Linux kernel. They do not want
> > add
> > on patches.
>
> Well since right now you still need packets for >1024 file handles and
> >128Mb per swap file I'd say that dev_fs is a minor worry 8). Doing >2Gig
> files on a 32bit machine is a hard one however.

At the moment the companies I deal with do not patch the kernel for
>128Mb per swap file, nor for > 1024 file handles. The machines hardly
ever swap, and the number of files is not large, it is more a small
number of files
that are large.

Concerning the >2GB files on Intel hardware I agree that is a hard one.
Which is why I have been bringing it up. Are we as a Community going to
consider the requirements that Oracle & Informix support bring to the
table?
Chris Wedgwood brought up the third issue concerning databases and that
is
raw disk access without buffer cache getting in the way.

If we are unable to deliver >2GB file support on Intel Hardware we still
need
to formulate a plan which includes Compaq/DEC and Sun concerning "get
the word
out" about the advantages of Linux running on a 64-bit platform. What
remains
to be seen is if the advantage of running Linux coupled with Oracle or
Informix
on a 64-bit platform will be enough for companies to purchase 64-bit
machines.

BTW, has anyone seen anything concerning Oracle & Informix supporting
Linux/Alpha
and Linux/Sparc64? If they are not, we are sort of stuck.

We still need to address the current SCSI disk limitation of 16, and
raw disk access w/o buffer cache.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys