Re: 2.1.114 lockup on boot, different one

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 05:15:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

> 2.1.114 locks up solid at bootup on my SMP box. After printing the IRQ
> mapping table it says
>
> Checking 'hlt' instruction...
>
> ... and 'hlt's. Keyboard is dead, no register dumps available, or magic
> sysrq keys. The machine is a 2*P2/333, Intel DK440LX motherboard.

Yep - if you try no-hlt on the lilo line how far does your machine get?
Mine gets to klogd and stops (but scrollback still works) or actually
boots if I do not run klogd.

<STAT ON>

Has anyone had this lock-up on any other motherboard ? So far I have
collected three instances involving Intel DK440LX. Plus I have submitted a
bug report to Novell for Netware 5.0 about DK440LX SMP crashing. If you
have had this lockup could you respond to me so I can put together a
statistic report. Thanks!

<STAT OFF>

> 2.1.103 is okay (been using it so far), i think 2.1.111 or 2.1.112 was
> the first i tried that had this behaviour. Where should I look at?

2.1.109 is the last one that works here. 2.1.110 was the first to lockup.

> PS. Any change to get a longer dmesg buffer? With the new SMP kernels, a
> couple of SCSI controllers, md/etherexpress and other verbose driver
> startups the buffer wraps around in the middle of the bootup messages. No
> chance to look at the first half after bootup...

I ended up disabling all the extra drivers to get the messages to fit into
scrollback....

> ---
> < Heikki Hannikainen <> ax.25: oh7lzb@oh7rba.fin.eu >
> < Internet: hessu@pspt.fi <> Amprnet: oh7lzb@oh7rba.ampr.org >