Re: Linux 2.1.x IDE/ATAPI CDROM support

Christian Viken (chrisvik@tapir.no)
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 10:44:29 +0200

Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 03:11:23PM +0200, Christian Viken wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have since kernel 2.1.101 not been able to mount my Optics Storage 12X
> > IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM.
> > I have tried every kernel since then (current: 2.1.113)
> >
> > mount does not return any error messages, just halts the xterm i run it
> > from and at system shutdown (after trying to mount the cd-rom and after
> > killing the stalled xterm) the umounting process hangs infinitely.
> >
> > I have tried both the static and the module way of kompiling the kernel
> > IDE CDROM driver and ISO9660 filesystem (every possible way) and I have
> > also tried different versions of mount. Same result every time.
> >
> > Current system:
> > RedHat 5.1
> > mount-2.7l-3
> > glibc-2.0.7-19
> >
> > With dmesg i get:
> > -------------------
> > VFS: Disk change detected on device 16:00
> > ATAPI device hdc:
> > Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
> > Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed -- (asc=0x28,
> > ascq=0x00)
> > -------------------
>
> With the latest kernel (2.1.113 or later) could you compile ide-cd in as
> a module, and add:
> options cdrom debug=1
>
> to your /etc/conf.modules.

Did that. (and compiled in ISO9660 and Joliet support (kernel 2.1.114))
mount hangs. syslog says:

Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.13
cdrom: drive "/dev/hdc" registered
cdrom: entering cdrom_open
cdrom: entering open_for_data
cdrom: drive_status=4
cdrom: entering cdrom_count_tracks
cdrom: wrong media type, but CDO_CHECK_TYPE not set.
cdrom: all seems well, opening the device.
cdrom: opening the device gave me 0.
cdrom: door locked.
cdrom: device opened sucessfully.
cdrom: Use count for "/dev/hdc" now 1
cdrom: entering CDROMMULTISESSION
ATAPI device hdc:
Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed -- (asc=0x28,
ascq=0x00)

> You might also try out:
> options cdrom debug=1 check_media_type=1

Did that also. mount does not hang (cool :) but returns "wrong media type".
the syslog says:

Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.13
cdrom: drive "/dev/hdc" registered
cdrom: entering cdrom_open
cdrom: entering open_for_data
cdrom: drive_status=4
cdrom: entering cdrom_count_tracks
cdrom: bummer. wrong media type.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: door unlocked.
cdrom: Use count for "/dev/hdc" now 0
Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded

Did not help me much, but hope it helps you guys.

I have tested with both ISO9660 and Joliet CDs. same result.

-Chris

--
Christian Viken        chrisvik@tapir.no, Zakka@irc
Nardoveien 6           http://www.tapir.ntnu.no/~chrisvik/