Re: S3trio framebuffer on Intel?

Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
03 Aug 1998 10:58:56 +0200

Rik> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Rik van Riel wrote: > I've been seeing messages
>> about the trouble folks are > having with vesafb and s3 chips; now
>> I wonder if the > S3trio fb driver is ready for x86 drivers or if
>> it's > PPC only and has some weird PPC assumptions built-in.
>>
>> S3triofb (and cyberfb) assume the video mode was already set up by
>> Open Firmware (or AmigaOS).

Rik> I guess this means someone with either in-depth knowledge about
Rik> the video code or with lots of spare time will have to look into
Rik> that some day :-(

Well it does require someone with a bit of S3 knowledge or at least
someone willing to study the manuals. I have been hoping for someone
doing this for a long time, but unfortunately nobody has done it so
far ;-(

I don't have an S3 based card to play with so its not that easy to do.
However, I wrote ncr77c32blt video init support in about a day or two,
its not so hard to do most of it and most VGA-style graphics chipsets
are quite similar.

Now where is that volunteer we need ;-)

Jes