Re: Irritating ext2fs corruption

Jakob Borg (jb@k2.lund.se)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 02:56:54 +0200

On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 05:15:21PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Jakob Borg wrote:
>
> >problem is that deleted inodes don't get written to disk while the
> >dives are mounted _or_ when they are unmounted. I can cleanly unmount
>
> You should launch `telinit u`, kill all your process (except init), and
> then everything should be really deleted for sure. If this will not happen
> I don' t think this is the normal behavior. Also if you are able to
> unmount a partition everything should be really deleted from it (inode
> count 0).
>
> Andrea[s] Arcangeli

But I do not want to shut down my system! I just want to get 700 Mb
more free space when I delete a 700 Mb file, without having to fsck
the filesystem and see the "deleted inode has zero dtime" message.

Currently, every once in maybe 5 times I delete a large file, the disk
space never gets reclaimed, even if I unmount it and remount (which
should really sync the filesystem) . It is not my root partition.

Is this some cache problem?

--
Jakob Borg <jb@k2.lund.se>
[Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 narayan 2.1.112 i586]