Re: Static analysis of the Linux kernel

Francois-Rene Rideau (I+fare+WANT@tunes.NO.org.SPAM)
03 Aug 1998 01:37:01 +0200

jalvo@cloud9.net (John G. Alvord) writes:
> I've done some work on a system, based on CPP output. It certainly
> makes parsing easier with respect to conditional macros and includes.
> One use was creating an exact dependency file when the compiler in use
> didn't support that output.
Hum. Do you mean you did something like gcc -MM or Linux' mkdep,
or did you actually maintain a faithful model of cpp conditionals and macros?

> For generating a call graph, one tough parts involves function calls via
> indirect lookup and use of tables of function addresses.
I believe the stalin whole-program optimizing compiler for Scheme
does it well already. The problem I see when adapting this technology
to the Linux kernel, is the possibility of dynamic module insertion,
that must be made expressible (and expressed) to the analyzer.

## Faré | VN: Уng-Vû Bân | Join the TUNES project! http://www.tunes.org/ ##
## FR: François-René Rideau | TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System ##
## Reflection&Cybernethics | Project for a Free Reflective Computing System ##
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
-- Howard Aiken