Re: GSM short message from DAVE.SMS@MVHI.COM

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 03:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

On 2 Aug 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > > 40 characters or so, but capital letters generate codes that have
> > > more bits turned on resulting in a higher draw on the UART. Many
> > ^^____________
> >
> > (char) 'A' == (char) 'a' & 95;
> > (char) 'Z' == (char) 'z' & 95;
> >
> > He was trying to save bits! Upper case uses less bits, so the BPS can
> > be higher if your communications channel is bit-limited like the
> > Micro$oft browser.
> >

> Actually, on an RS-232 channel a 1 bit is idle, 0 is active, so null
> (ASCII 0) is the most active of all characters.

That is true. That is what I was saying. But what started out as
a humor attempt is ending up as a "I know more about you do -
power struggle" with the people here and it is fairly pointless.

By the way, I don't mean you in the above statement, but rather
some of the other postings I've seen. Some people just like to
get that last word in no matter what. ;o)

Oh well, I guess it's better than reading about the boot-logo
crap. ;o)

Hehhe. Take care HPA.
TTYL

P.S. Lets kill this "joke" thread everybody... I am filtering
them out now...

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com