Re: Layout/Setup of Kernel

Nick Holloway (Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk)
1 Aug 1998 17:47:10 +0100

astor@guardian.no (Alexander Kjeldaas) writes:
> I have always patched my kernels by hand, but I took a look at the
> patch-kernel script. It defaults to patching /usr/src/linux without
> even _checking_ whether the script is located in a directory different
> from /usr/src/linux/scripts.

Since it is trivial to specify an alternative location for the kernel
source (the 1st argument), I don't think this is necessary. I also feel
uncomfortable when scripts start using $0 -- not 100% reliable.

Also the reason for not checking is historical. The script patch-kernel
originally existed outside of the kernel tree (during the development).

--
 `O O'  | Home: Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk  http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/
// ^ \\ | Work: Nick.Holloway@parallax.co.uk