Re: Layout/Setup of Kernel

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> What it all
> TRULY boils down to is what Linus thinks. Linus is GOD. Linus
> says "No, I will do it this way, and that is it mortal. If you
> want a divided kernel, feel free to divide it yourself and
> distribute.". Linus is GOD. GOD says no. No amount of arguing,
> complaining or anything will change that, not now, not ever.

[ Good dog. Sit. Jump. Roll over..

See, I have them trained to perfection. My army of mindless drones are
only months away from taking over the world. When the day comes, all
opposition will be CRUSHED ]

But yes, if somebody wants to split up the standard kernels, and if he can
do it in a way that people trust somehow, please do feel free. _I_ am way
too lazy to bother with it, but as the question does come up fairly often
there are obviously people who would like to see it done.

My only concern is that it has to be done well enough that it doesn't
cause more problems than it solves, and it has to be done in a way that
people trust the split up archives for some reason. But it could all
probably be done automatically by a reasonably simple script.

Linus