Re: [VESA-FB] Tunable refresh rate?

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:23:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> Something I'm curious about but I don't really know is doable at all or not
> within the constraints of VESA 2.0, is the refresh rate of the video modes..

Nope, IIRC. VESA 2.0 is just width, height, depth, palette, and
linear framebuffer address.

> My Matrox Mill ][ seems to default to 60hz on all the graphics modes and
> 60hz makes me ill.. I'd like to run 1600x1200 at 70hz, and all others below
> that at 120hz.. like I do under Win98 ;-)
>
> I'm going to dig thru my old DOS utils for it.

Yeah, you will need a separate utility to specify the timings for
the VESA modes. S3 cards work like this, too - s3vbe20 will give you VESA
2.0 modes at whatever referesh rates the author preset, but you still need
the S3REFRE.EXE utility to tweak the timings of the individual modes.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed