Re: apache no longer writes to the access log. NFS RELATED

Jeremy Hansen (jeremy@xxedgexx.com)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:56:07 -0400 (EDT)

Please give me ideas on this one. The person I spoke with seems to
believe it's linux nfs related.

Thanks
-jeremy

http://www.xxedgexx.com | jeremy@xxedgexx.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:54:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@iuinc.com>
To: jeremy@xxedgexx.com
Subject: Re: apache no longer writes to the access log. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 31 Jul 1998 20:04:47 GMT
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: apache no longer writes to the access log.

In <Pine.LNX.3.96.980731151212.7360A-100000@wopr.iuinc.com> Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@iuinc.com> writes:

>> >For some reason I can no longer get apache to write to the access log
>> >unless the access log is owned by the httpd user. This is bad since I

>Actually, I am. Is there a problem with this?

>> You aren't accessing the logs over NFS are you?

>Yes to both. I believe the NFS thing you mentioned may be the
>problem. I never knew there was anything bad about this. What
>is the problem? Is there a work around? This MUST work.

Check your NFS server to be sure it isn't mapping root to nobody
or something like that. ISTR Linux also has or had some other
broken NFS behaviour regarding access rights on an open
file descriptor after a setuid (they should stay the same, ISTR
it was changing them).

This is almost certainly not an Apache problem.

>> You are starting Apache as root and do have a proper User directive
>> in the config, right?
>>
>> >keep access logs in user's home directories rather then in var.

>That's too bad, but I'd like to do it anyway. Please tell me the
>work around. Why can't access log be written as users, like suexec?

Because they can't.

Now, it would technically be possible to have Apache open a log as
a specific user (doesn't matter what user is writing to it, as long
as it was opened by the right user), but that functionality isn't
present.