Re: S3 High Speed text font support in vgacon.c [patch 2.1.112]

Yaroslav Rosomakho (alons55@dialup.ptt.ru)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:37:46 +0000

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Yaroslav Rosomakho wrote:
> > Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

initializes the

> > > Yes indeed. The Trio is initialized by Open Firmware in some
machines. It isn't
> > > in mine :-(
> >
> > By, what about S3 ViRGE? There is a nice DOS TSR Prog ( like small
univbe) for S3
> > chips - s3vbe20. It "makes" avery S3 cardVBE 2.0 compliant. Could
anyone integrate
> > something like this prog into kernel?
>
> DOS programs are 16 bit. Linux/ia32 is 32 bit. That's also the reason
why
> vesafb cannot change the resolution once Linux is booted up.

Why should we change resolution? Now I can load s3vbe20 in DOS, then
load linux throw
loadlin, and linux CHANGES video mode from text
to 800x600 correctly. So can be something like s3vbe20 integrated in
kernel?

Yaroslav Rosomakho

P.S. Will be refresh rate integrated in kernel?