Re: Increasing limit on SCSI hard drives

Neil Conway (nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:46:07 +0000

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Yes, I think a journaling file system for Linux would be a VERY good idea -
> > personally, I'm fed up of having a disk check (fsck) every time I get a crash
> > (ie, when I haven't shutdown cleanly - that's me, Mr dirty shutdown, always
> > locking up in X, and who knows what... You just CAN'T get the staff these days).
>
> There are people already looking at Journalling ext2fs
>
> > Seriously... IMHO, Linux has alot to learn from NT in this respect. Hopefully,
> Pardon ???
>
> Maybe from AIX, MVS and all the other people who did it first ;)
>
> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

Jeez, NT might have a nice filesystem in NTFS, but when was the last
time you
chkdsk'ed one, guys ? In my experience, it's just as slow as Linux. To
be
honest though, I can't remember if a power outage (or accidental reset
;-) does
cause a chkdsk, but I reckon so.

Neil