Re: Corruption Stats (fwd)

Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:14:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Stefan Traby wrote:

> BTW: A drive following the SCSI-specs may cause disk-corruption
> under Linux (WCE=1). Data may still be in write-cache after
> shutdown and power-off. (I miss "synchronize cache").
> This is for shure a theoretical problem, but a practical bug.
> Or did I miss something ?

Synchronizing the cache of real hard disks is'nt worth it since
they have a small cache compared to their data transfer speed, so
the risk is minimal unless you are rather a hurry penguin each
time you switched your machine off (even if your disks are not
able to flush data on power down).
This indeed does not apply to controllers or boxes that use a
large data cache for disks. In such a situation even a peaceful
penguin may be too fast swithing the machine off and so may
lose the data not yet copied from cache to disks.

Gerard.