Re: [patch] IDE problems on SMP, fixed? (fwd)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:44:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> The latest EGCS code has a C parser in the library used for the CPP
> preprocessor that is modular and minimal enough for these purposes,
> then you could jackhammer the flow analysis pass into it using some
> minimalized form of RTL (or better, do control flow the way described
> in Chapter 7 of Muchnik's compiler book, via structual analysis).
>
> Then extend it to work on many files at once, and to combine calls and
> scopes into a global "flow" knowledge.

I don't think you want to do real C analysis multiple files at a time: you
do them one file at a time and output some (easily, and machine-) readable
format that contains the internal flows for one file. You only have to do
the hard work (linearizing) on a file-per-file (or even function-by-
function) basis, after all.

Once you have the per-file extended call-graphs, you can do the analysis
on the total - possibly even in multiple passes to make each pass simpler
(each pass would sort down more information from the previous pass until
the information doesn't change and you've found the proper superset of all
calls).

Linus