Re: Corruption Stats (fwd)

Matthew Hawkins (matt@mail.goldweb.com.au)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 16:56:35 +1000

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Agreed. I hate "baby-sitting" systems myself - I only want to default to
> something safe, and if somebody wants to live dangerously he should
> certainly be able to do so.

So make the default "off" for DMA, and let administrators explicitly set
it in system init rc scripts with hdparm if they want to turn it on.
That's not too much effort, really.

A documentation note can be made to the effect that DMA is now always off,
and to check drivers/block/whatever.c for a blacklist of drives/controllers
to not override this with hdparm. (Or, alternatively, hdparm could be made
smart enough to not enable DMA on known buggy combinations through some hook
with the kernel driver somehow).

--
Matthew Hawkins <matt@goldweb.com.au> |
WWW: http://www.goldweb.com.au/~matt/ | "Do not taunt happy fun troll."