Re: about syslogd and printk()

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:15:12 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Seems, dev->nit_count incremented by packet socket
> when it binds to a device will be enough. In this case
> we could even remove global nit count, scanning device list
> instead and incrementing dev->nit_count on all of them.

Not forgetting devices that are created _after_ packet sockets
are opened I hope :-).

> It is true, but only partially. Yes, common list really affects
> nodes f.e. with interface to 100Mbit ethernet and to ppp channel.
> But take into account, that the situation is marginal.
> If you use diald, it is very unlikely, that you have an interface
> to high speed network. Probably, we will lose more than win.

No it isn't. Sticking dial up lines in the back of a router that
is already routing between two or more 100Mbit nets is not all
that unusual. Routers are convenient entry points. It's also possible
to have diald controlling non-ppp devices - say front ending, via a
net interface, a router which isn't smart enough to have arbitrary
packet rules like diald but which drives some sort of bandwidth-on-demand
service like bundled ISDN channels.

Then again, it isn't something that worries _me_ right now :-).

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |