Re: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled...BLAH...BLAH...

Mark Lord (mlord@pobox.com)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:28:10 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > adequately explained by something being out-of-spec, whether it's the
> > cable or the chipset being bad.
> >
> > But that doesn't change the fact that people see corruption that goes away
> > when they disable DMA.
>
> Linus - Yes there is something wrong
> No it cannot be DMA if DMA goes back to 1.3.20, almost every report
> says it started in 2.1.x, most are not UDMA but older DMA
>
> The only common theme right now seems to be SMP and SCSI, and thats SMP
> machines in the SCSI case (not option), unknown in the IDE case.

Exactly. That's what smells bad here.

Okay, for the record, I now have seen *two* reports
of "corruption" with IDE-DMA with 2.1.xxx.

Both reports are for SMP systems.
Corruption did not occur with earlier kernels,
even though DMA was previously used (correct me if wrong).

These problems are probably solvable by removing "SMP=1".
The exact cause is probably not the IDE stuff, but rather some
as-yet-undebugged interaction with SMP.

Somebody want to send me an SMP system so I can fix SMP ?

--
mlord@pobox.com
The (ex-)Linux IDE guy