Re: Boot logo ideas (oh not again...)

Matthias L Jugel (leo@mud.de)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:39:09 +0000

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

Your message dated: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:01:28 -0400
>On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Hanno Mueller wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is a followup to the recent boot logo discussion. There are a few
>> questions about adding features to the new console code in here.
>>
><snip>
>>
>> The logo could be used for a "friendly greeting screen". While in "logo
>> mode", the console is divided into two parts at startup - the lower half
>> is used to display the standard kernel and boot messages. The messages
>> scroll within this text "window".
>>
>> The upper half is used to display the greeting screen. It displays a logo
>> and a few basic, general information about the system. These messages pop
>> up as they are computed - so when there is a long and detailes message in
>> the lower window, the upper window only displays a brief summary of it.
>> The logo does not scroll away.
>
>I really think this would make a nifty welcome screen. I'm not sure if it
>would be worth the trouble though. I'll look into it when I get move to
>school. (It seems I have more free time when I'm there)

Has anyone of you looked at the NeXT bootup screen? I think the
technique used there is very easy to implement and I don't think
the standard startup messages are anything useful if nothing un-
expected happens. As long as the startup is okay a status bar and
minimalistic messages like "Checking filesystem integrity" will
be enough. My impression is that all those messages you see
usually worry people.

Leo.

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

Matthias L. Jugel -- GMD FIRST Berlin Adlershof
Tel: +49 030 6392 1821 Email: leo@first.gmd.de
Es gibt zwei Arten von Narren. Der eine sagt: "Dies ist alt und
deshalb gut." Und der andere sagt: "Dies ist neu und deshalb besser."

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0--