Re: Quick NetBEUI question

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:50:11 +0200

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 01:41:16PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Erik Corry wrote:
>

> > In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.980728112833.182A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> you wrote:
> >
> > > Yes. NetBEUI encapsulates NETBIOS (the original PC Network) into
> > > TCP/IP Broadcast packets.
> >
> > You just got NetBEUI and NetBIOS mixed up. And your
>
> No. The network I helped develop is NETBIOS. I damned well know how
> it works. And it's spelled NETBIOS. Maybe NetBIOS is something
> else?

Take a look at RFCs 1001 and 1002 at eg
http://SunSITE.auc.dk/RFC/ . This is (part of) the specification
of NetBIOS encapsulated in IP. Is this the protocol you helped
design?

It doesn't mention NetBEUI anywhere, which is unsurprising
since NetBEUI is an alternative (older) encapsulation for
NetBIOS and as such has nothing to do with IP.

--
Erik Corry