Re: 2.1.111 VM and low memory machines

Krzysztof G. Baranowski (kgb@manjak.knm.org.pl)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:24:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> I'm seeing this for eth0, e.g. tcpdump -i eth0. I don't see it when
> sniffing on the wire from another box, so I assume by loopback you
> mean `same machine' and no `lo'?
Well, all local packets goes through 'lo', so there is no difference.

And for ethernet stuff try tcpdump with `-e' (print link level
addresses) option. I suspect you see duplicate packets due to
the fact that you are forwarding them for local machines through
your router. tcpdump is seeing the outgoing packet you are sending
from your own machine, as well as the forwarded packet sent by the
router to the destination host).

Kris

--
Krzysztof G. Baranowski - President of the Harmless Manyacs' Club
"Smith & Wesson - The original point and click interface..."