Re: VESA VGA Frame Buffer

Paul (PELaufer@CSUPomona.edu)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:31:31 +0000

Sid,
You seem to have both vgafb and vesafb compiled into the kernel. That shouldn't
be a problem. Whacha gotta do here is read the linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
file, then make sure that you have the "/dev/fb0" device (and if not make it per
instructions given in the vesafb.txt doc file). Then put just "vga=ask" in your
lilo config for booting this kernel. Next time you reboot, when presented with the
video mode selection menu, do not select any of the modes presented on that menu
as they are text only modes. You have to enter the number "301" for a 640x480
console at 256 colors, "303" for 800x600 and "305" for 1024x768. Forget the one
part in the vesafb.txt file where it tells you to convert the hex number into
decimal, that doesn't work. As long as none of the video mode numbers contain
letters in them it will work (and none of the graphics modes do, afaik).

Hope that helped
~Paul Laufer