Re: Question on modularizing the lance driver

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:10:07 +1200

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 10:05:09PM -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> The comments in linux/drivers/net/lance.c suggest
> that this driver could not be turned into a loadable module, because
> it needs to allocate a big chunk of memory below the 16MB boundary.
> However, it looks like this memory allocation is now done by
> calling kmalloc with the flag GFP_DMA, which I believe is supposed
> to allocate memory under the 16MB boundary for i386 platforms.

Since sound modules for ISA sounds cards also have similar requirements, it
may be an old comment.

Although, I've never really seen sound card fail, so it might be they do
funny things... (what are the odds of having 16 consecutive pages free under
16M on a 32M machine soon after boot?).

-cw