Re: Kernel lockups with 2.0.3x

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 20:47:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Rafael Reilova wrote:

> > now, and have no idea where to even begin tracking the problem
> > down.
> >
> > I am using Kernel 2.0.35 right now, but the same trouble happens
> > whatever kernel I'm using, at least 2.0.3x anyways. I am using
> > a stock 2.0.35 kernel, and have SCSI emulation enabled so I can
> > use my CD writer. I also have IP masq compiled in, and all the
> > necessary stuff for that, and PLIP to work, etc... I've been
> > using this setup for quite some time now with no trouble.
>
> Are you compiling the kernel with anything other than 2.7.2? Try
> compiling with gcc 2.7.2.3.

I'm using a stock gcc 2.7.2.3.

> Failing that I would recommend checking your
> hardware, in particular the memory. Too agressive BIOS settings can also
> screw-up things inexplicably (try using the defaults).

My BIOS is basically factory settings. I didn't have problems
before RedHat 5.1 with it. I suppose it could be a memory or
other hardware problem, but I doubt it. I will test my memory,
and double check my BIOS settings, but one thing is certain:

1) These lockups only occur if X windows is running. SVGAlib
programs work fine, no trouble. This includes Quake-I/II,
DOOM, and other intense apps.

2) No trouble is experienced like this in '95, in any intense
apps, games, or other software. Just standard W95 trouble. ;o)

3) No trouble is experienced in MSDOS apps.

4) I'm having these troubles on 2 completely different computers,
and 2 of my friends are as well.

My friends computer exhibits an identical behaviour to mine with
the lockups in X, despite totally different hardware. I'm using
all AMD chips, but he has an Intel 200.

> Finally, you can
> try using an unacelerated X-server (VGA16 or monoserver) for a while and
> see what happens.

Yes, I will try out MetroX if I can find the CD around here, and
hopefully the problem will go away. If not, I'll try some of the
things that you and Alan have suggested, as well as a couple new
things I've come up with on my own.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Take care.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com