Re: Using data switch with Linux.

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 20:28:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Brian K. White wrote:

> > Mmm... looks like it's /dev/psaux is not able to handle this switching.
> > Hope someone in the "linux-kernel" list can help.
> >
> > Thank you for helping.
>
> I've been using a monitor data switch and manually unplugging a serial mouse
> and keyboard every day for the last two weeks while working on windows boxen
> at home for ...everyone I know :) and it's been working fine. This is with X
> running, and on kernels 2.1.106ac4 and 2.1.111pre1.

Serial mice and standard PC keyboards don't seem to mind except that the
keyboard repeat rate may get set really low. Hot swapping PS/2 mice seems
(in my experience) to always lock up the system when
attaching/re-attaching the mouse (under Linux). I've done it on Win95
boxes and the system doesn't lock up, but the mouse isn't usable until
next reboot.