Re: ftp.kernel.org full of lamers not using mirrors.

sterwill@vader.eresnet.com
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:24:59 -0500 (CDT)

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Tom Rini wrote:
> > > As one of the many lamers who's slowly overloading kernel.org, is there a
> > > list of mirrors anyplace? Might be one of the reasons lots of people use
> > > ftp.kernel.org.
> >
> > May i suggest to use your webbrowser to fetch the kernel via http:
>
> if your FTP is full, i would assume that most of the bandwidth is gone at
> this point... how much does http help if the pipe (t1?) is already full?

Seems a logical progression to hit on NFS next. I enjoy keeping
ftp.kernel.org NFS mounted on my home box. I guess I could run a cron
job to mail me any new day's findings, although I haven't done this (very
little load on the server, just an ls every day). I guess I really don't
have a real question other than do the archive maintainers mind all these
(pretty much) inactive NFS connections to the machine? For the good of
the machine (each NFS connection incurs some RAM usage), I would gladly
unmount the machine, if needed. Is this currently a problem? Will it be?

I do very much like the mirroring ideas being proposed (round robin DNS
to geographically named mirror sites). This might be a bit presumptuous,
but I'd suggest contacting the archive maintainer of uiarchive.uiuc.edu
for the chance to add a very well connected mid-west USA archive to the
"official" mirrors list (and the round-robin DNS).

ftpadmin@uiuc.edu would be the one to contact. Currently this machine
mirrors the kernel archives, but would benefit from the DNS stuff planned:

ftp://uiarchive.uiuc.edu/pub/systems/linux/kernel

--
Shaw Terwilliger (ten.tenecnavda@giwt)