Re: ftp.kernel.org full of lamers not using mirrors.

John Caldwell (jcald@lake.ml.org)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:41:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Tom Rini wrote:
> > As one of the many lamers who's slowly overloading kernel.org, is there a
> > list of mirrors anyplace? Might be one of the reasons lots of people use
> > ftp.kernel.org.
>
> May i suggest to use your webbrowser to fetch the kernel via http:
>
> http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.1/
>
> This works even when anonftp is locked out because of the user limit
> and we can use the global webcache structure to distribute the kernel...
>
> Dominik

if your FTP is full, i would assume that most of the bandwidth is gone at
this point... how much does http help if the pipe (t1?) is already full?
I share tom's sentiments, and I have a fairly fast (500kbps) connection,
but kernel.org can hardly ever provide me with download speeds above
20kb/sec, most times not above 15 (I can get around 40kb/sec from fast
mirrors.) I scoured kernel.org for a long time trying to find ANY sort of
list of people who might mirror the site. Eventually I just gave up and
waited for ftpsearch.ntnu.no to find someone who had a copy of the kernel.
Even though theres not a solid mirroring structure out there yet- do you
have any sort of idea of some sites that keep a fairly curent mirror?

--