Re: inodes are not cleared!

Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich (saw@msu.ru)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:13:35 +0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 07:29:51AM -0400, Bill Hawes wrote:
> Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:
> >
> > Some fields (like i_rdev) are not initialized in most filesystems!
> >
> > Here is a patch fixing initialization of sockets.
>
> Another possibility we could consider would be modify the VFS where
> needed to treat sockets differently. There is a flag saying whether an
> inode belongs to a socket, and in some cases is may make more sense to
> process the socket inode differently rather than set up fields that have
> no use for sockets.

Yes, instead of patching socket.c it's possible to patch stat() call
implementation to do not show meaningless fields for sockets.
But I consider it as worse.

Nevertheless, the problem of missing initializations of i_rdev and may be
other inode fields in some filesystems is persist.

Best wishes
Andrey