Re: Secure deletion

Jeffrey B. Siegal (jbs@quiotix.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:10:53 -0700

Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 06:55:39PM -0700, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:
>
> > Does ext2 support secure deletion (freed blocks are overwritten, possibly
> > multiple times) rather than just released for reuse? Are there patches
> > available to do this?
>
> Not any more. It used to work ages ago, but doesn't appear to now.
>
> If you want to properly delete data from the disk, burn it. Even to do a
> moderately good job, its quite a bit of work

I am familar with the issues involved, but there are different levels of
security. If I want deleted data to be secure from reading (the raw device) at
the software level, even if root is compromised, simply overwriting it on the
disk is sufficient.

> and doesn't belong in the kernel.

It belongs in the kernel because that's the only place it can be done, and it
is certainly part of the filesystem functionality (which is part of the
kernel). For some applications where security is more important than
performance, a simple filesystem with this functionality would be an acceptable
replacement for ext2.

> See http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/securedel.html for some general
> information on deleting data.

This page does not exist.