Re: 2.1.110 odd swapping

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
23 Jul 1998 00:07:55 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980722194345.10130A-100000@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu>,
George <greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu> wrote:

>Attempting to boot my machine with only 4MB of RAM ended up stopping at the
>end of the rc.d scripts as soon as init would normally spawn the (10)
>consoles. Using ALT+SysRQ+P showed the kernel (2.1.110 SMP) looping in the
>following addresses:

One thing to look out for is that if you're using "xntpd" to keep your
machine synchronized to the network, then it will mlock() itself into
memory, and at least for me that means that about 1.2MB of your memory
is completely untouchable by the kernel.

That, together with the kernel itself using about a megabyte or so of
memory, made a 4MB test machine completely unrunnable for me. Also
verify that you aren't trying to profile the kernel you're running,
because that will eat up another half meg of unswappable memory...

Linus