Re: Older sequent systems

Erik Walthinsen (omega@cse.ogi.edu)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:06:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> I potentially have a chance to get a 32 processor sequent of the old pre
> Numa-Q species. What I'm hoping is that linux-kernel has someone on it
> who is or knows the right people to poke in sequent about hardware
> documentation for the older sequents and to see if we can get sequent to
> play ball with this

Wow! What other hardware included? I'm as close to a guru as you're
going to find outside of Sequent (I worked there for 2.5yrs, until Boeing
ran out of cache, er, cash :) for new machines and 250ppl were laid off
at sqnt).

As for getting Linux running on these puppies, well, hmm. The mach
microkernel ran on the really old hardware (original S27), and in fact
part of the port was done by people here at Oregon Graduate Institute,
where I work now. However, the S5000 machine you might get is 2
generations past what the mach kernel worked on (Balance (B[38]),
Symmetry (S{8,27,81}), S2000-(2x0,4x0,8x0), S5000 (S[254678]0, NUMA-Q).

I will go talk to people at Sequent (several of which are already on the
linux-kernel list, I will check archives to see if they've responded yet)
and see what I can dig up in terms of docs. There may be some reluctance
to release stuff, since the S5000 stuff is still being made and sold, plus
some other details I probably legally can't talk about yet, but there is a
possibility that we can get it running.

I'd be interested in getting a list of the hardware that comes with the
machine, too.

TTYL,
Omega
(formerly omega@sequent.com)