Re: FS Corruption in 2.1.109

Christopher Seawood (cls@seawood.org)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:48:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Christopher Seawood wrote:

> I'm running into the same problem I've seen since .103. Whenever I untar
> a large src tree (like mozilla) while removing another large src tree, I
> end up with random fs errors. From previous discussions, I've used
> hdparm to set my max fsck count to 3. I'm not aware of any problems with
> my hardware but here's my configuration.

Ok. I dropped back to .101 (which is UP) to see if the problem persisted.
They did. I went home and forced a fsck and the problems seemed to go
away. But they took a nice chunk of my harddrive with them. I tried the
untar/rm test and no errors occurred.

I grabbed the diagnostic utility from Western Digital's website. It
claimed that neither drive had any errors. So I ran .109 SMP again.
After a couple untar/rm tests, the errors came back. I forced a fsck and
recompiled the kernel UP. So far under the UP kernel, the untar/rm test
and several compiles yield no errors. So I'm guessing this might be a SMP
issue.

- cls