Re: devfs patch v45 available

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:41:23 +1000

Torgeir Veimo writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > Hi, all. Version 45 of my devfs patch is now available from:
>
> > - Ported to kernel 2.1.110
>
> Does the lack of "fixed bug with ..." imply that things are stabilizing
> and that it could go into 2.3.* whenever/if linus chooses to do so?

Well, as you know, there's always another bug :-)
Seriously, the devfs stuff has been fairly stable for a long time
now. The "fixed bug..." changes have basically been corner-cases which
only affect some people/drivers. The most important thing to note is
that when CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=n the patch is disabled, and hence nothing
should fail. So if Linus applies the patch nothing should break.

Most of the problems we've seen with the "corner-cases" also relate to
other parts of the kernel which have been problematic, such as the
sound drivers and kmod.

Regards,

Richard....