Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:14:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > They dont fit 30 pin sockets on ISA bus 386s or old VLB 486 boards. You are
> > > making the exact mistake I tried to point out above. All the world is not
> > > made up of cash rich Americans bulk buying memory.
> >
> > You can get a 36-72 pin slot expander/convertor for $25.
>
> In the Gambia ?

Having donated a large amount of (to me) obsolete to various ngo's various
african countries it's only fair to say that the reason this stuff is so
darned expensive there are the absurd customs duties levied in various
countries which view this as a stable revenue source. Frequently these
exceed 10-20% of whatever they asses the value of the goods to be rather
than say, what I consider the replacement value of a 486 with 16mb for
shipping and insurance purposes. This amounts to highway robery by armed
bandits masquerading as government officials.

> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E