Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:38:49 -0400 (EDT)

Dave writes:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Dax Kelson wrote:

>> Memory has gotten insanely cheap lately.
>>
>> $14 for 16MB SIMM
>> $26 for 32MB SIMM
>> $127 for 128MB DIMM
>
> Shoot me if I'm wrong.. But throwing money at a problem to hide
> inefficient programming sounds like a very Microsoft thing to do.
> Isn't this why we're using Linux in the first place?

What is "inefficient programming" for a 386 is often good code on
a quad-Xeon with 64 GB of RAM. Scalability goes both ways, and it
costs development effort.

The original Linux hardware was rather high-end in 1991.
We could continue the tradition by dropping support for
anything less than a Pentium II with 64 MB of RAM.

If you want something bloat-free, Minix is still available.
You can get it for free now, and it runs in 640 kB or less.