Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:37:47 -0600

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 07:48:27PM -0300, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> Folks, increased functionality and/or increased performance almost always
> means increased memory footprint. There's no fix for that yet, as long as

Modularity.

> the kernel itself can't be swapped (and I don't think we want to deal with
> the *nasty* potential deadlocks inherent in swappable kernel memory!).

God forbid.

> The difference with respect to Windows is that there's hardly any additional
> functionality or performance to justify the bloat....

But Windows CE is quite small. Windows CE is a more dangerous competitor for
Linux than is NT.

--

--------------------------------- Victor Yodaiken Department of Computer Science New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology Socorro NM 87801 Homepage http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~yodaiken PowerPC Linux page http://linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu Real-Time Page http://rtlinux.org