Re: Memory Rusting Effect [re: Linux hostile to poverty]

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:25:49 -0600

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 12:15:14AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> The other aspect of this is that Linux is moving into the thin-client, embedded and 'appliance' markets. Those are very very cost sensitive and if win* takes
> half the ram of Linux we may well lose the market share we've gained.

It would be nice if it was possible to conveniently cut the kernel memory
use by removing components. For example, there is a port of Linux 2.0 to the
PalmPilot and we have been talking about making a RT-Linux version -- for a
variety of applications. It has been a slow slog to get rid of uniprocessor
assumptions in Linux, I expect that desktop (not embedded)
assumptions will be also a problem.

> So yes 8Mb is important, and I'd like to get 2.3.x working in 4Mb nicely
> preferably 2Mb (with a very limited feature set obviously)

Yes! Then we won't have to maintain a 2.0 RTL.

Victor Yodaiken
Department of Computer Science
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Socorro NM 87801
Homepage http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~yodaiken
PowerPC Linux page http://linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu
Real-Time Page http://rtlinux.org