Re: Linux behaviour in low memory situations.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
19 Jul 1998 20:30:56 GMT

In article <19980719213937.08230@cerebro.laendle>,
Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com> wrote:
>I can remember sometime in the 80's or 90's (2.1.8x/9x), linux just killed a
>more-or-less random process when there was no memory left. That, while
>sometimes sub-optimal (the X-server), saved me from a long filesystem check.
>
>All the newer kernels, though, just _stop_ (not even sysrq works) without an
>oops, when there is no memory left (all 2.1.10x for example). Increasing
>sys/vm/freepages does not help at all..

Please tell me more about what you're doing.. I certainly see different
behaviour (but again, because of mm changes in 2.1.109, please use that
and tell me how you make it stop, along with info on what kind of swap
situation you have etc).

Linus