Re: Use of -m21164a on 21064 AXP?

Richard Henderson (rth@dot.cygnus.com)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 16:29:46 -0700

On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 01:45:58PM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> When I do Linux kernel builds on my 21064 EV45 Alpha box, I notice
> the flag -m21164a is used (by the 2.0.35 kernel Makefiles).

Well, actually it is -Wa,-m21164a that is showing up in the 2.0.35
kernel makefiles. And that is present to make certain that certain
instructions are not emulated by the assembler.

The option does not affect the code generated by the compiler at all.
And since it should not have generated any of ldbu/ldwu/stb/stw in
the first place, it will not affect the resulting kernel image at all.

r~