Re: setuid/setgid technology - OLD and NASTY

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 08:42:52 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Linux Kernel list wrote:

> Setuid/setgid technology is an old technology belonging to the 70's.
> It was pretty confortable at that time but now it's not really actual and
> it's more like a pain in the system. It would be possible to replace this
> with 'something' - you decide what - in kernel land with something really
> secure. It's near year 2000 now. I would love to see Linux get rid of this
> kind of ballast.

In what way do you think setuid/setgid is "a pain"?

What would you propose as this "something" to replace "this"?

> It would make a safer world ;)

In what way? How is setuid/setgid currently unsafe?

How would your proposal make for "a safer world"?

> Tell me where if I'm wrong. And if it is an issue that you are working or
> planning to work on please forgive me.

Are you aware of POSIX capabilities?

Did you know that these have been included in Linux 2.1.*?

<THOUGHT TYPE="personal" METHOD="soapbox">
Linux can't afford to be a research project, it can only just afford
to keep up with UNIX. It is hard enough to code an API which already
exists - making it small and fast and stable and clean - without the
extra burden of trying to *invent* an API at the same time.
</THOUGHT>