Re: SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Can't assign... (2.1.109ac1)

Claus Hindsgaul Hansen (pbk2906@bergsoe.dtu.dk)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:21:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:
> You need to start the portmapper before attempting NFS mounts. Some of
> the distributution startup scripts don't do this.

Oops! My fault - I removed portmapper from the list of deamons to start,
because I thought it was only related to acting as a SERVER for NFS, NIS
etc. That was how I read the short Redhat description on it.
Certainly it removes my NFS problem completely, if I enable it. Thanks for
pointing this out.

BUT the messages at boot-time (SIOCSIFBRDADDR...) persists, and bootp
still don't detect an answer.

I just found, that issuing "bootp --server <ip#>" gives the right
response, though. Maybe the "SIOCSIFBRD..."-errors keeps bootp from
finding the server somehow? (This is pure novice speculaton!).

Cheers,
Claus

Claus Hindsgaul Hansen
Bergsøe Kollegiet 2906
DK-2850 Nærum, Denmark
Phone (+45) 4550 5171 2906
claush@bergsoe.dtu.dk
http://www.student.dtu.dk/~c918280

"A day without coffee is... like a day without coffee!"