Re: PPP trashed in 2.1.109?

Eberhard Burr (Eberhard.Burr@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de)
18 Jul 1998 13:46:06 +0200

"Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@lizard.org> writes:

> Ok... I followed the suggestions posted on here which were to upgrade pppd
> (I am now running 2.3.5) and make sure I was using the passive flag (which I
> have been doing since I started working with linux :)
>
> Nothing has changed. I still get that damn LCP error with 2.1.109 and I
> can't figure it out. :/ The scripts work perfectly fine with 2.1.106 and just
> don't work with 2.1.109. The only change was the kernel.
[...]

> The only reason I can think of is that ppp support in the kernel was broken
> (at least partially) with the recent modifications of the pppd code.
> Please someone prove me wrong :)

Same here. You appear to have non-standard /dev/ttyS2, so have I. I
think the serial driver is having some Problem with my /dev/ttyS2
which is a 16650V2 Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 5 and which works nicely under
.106. Booting .109, I found my other two serial ports (standard as
included on the MoBo) work nicely for Mouse and digital still camera,
but the Modem wouldn't get initialized. vgetty complains:

07/18 03:16:41 yS2 mdm_read_byte: read returned -1: Interrupted system call
07/18 03:16:41 yS2 mdm_get_line: cannot read byte, return: Protocol wrong type

Starting Seyon, I found the modem gets what I type, but I cannot see
the answers from the Modem. I figured, theren might be a problem with
FIFO handling and setserial'ed it as UART 16450. This made the Modem
work for a short period of time but later it failed again. No messages
from the kernel.

Please mail me directly, if I can give further information. (I'm only
lurking this list as time permits)

Regards,

--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows