Re: patch: fast console output ioctl(PIO_DISPLAY)

Zachary Amsden (amsdenz@aavid.com)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:26:40 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@ees2.oulu.fi>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1998 3:21 PM
Subject: patch: fast console output ioctl(PIO_DISPLAY)

>Consider me as a newbie kernel hacker as this is my first patch...

We all gotta start somewhere :) I didn't have time to look at the
code, but it sounded like you what you were doing. Did you properly
deal with non 80x25 tty widths and heights?

>And what should I do if(tty->stopped) ?

block the calling process until tty is no longer stopped

>Is there some existing way to speed up console output, what I missed
>(something that would make my patch useless)?
possibly the framebuffer and vgacon stuff. I haven't looked at it
very close, but it pretty much obsoleted the need for my multimon
patch.

Zachary Amsden
amsden@andrew.cmu.edu