Re: per interrupt stack [was Re: Strange interrupt behaviour]

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@valerie.inf.elte.hu)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:53:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > Umm, no. The paths that sends signals to processes (SIGSEGV, SIGBUS etc.)
> > have their own handlers and are not dispatched through the usual do_IRQ().
> > You'll see that if you follow the interrupt entry code in entry.S.
>
> I' ll take a look... What I need to know is _why_ my kernel locked
> yesterday.

a missed 'current->counter -= ticks', and infinitly running user-space
code? Since the need_resched flag is detected after returning from
do_IRQ(), schedule() never sees the decrement and will always select that
process, causing a 'soft hang', where you can ping the box but nothing
really works. Does this describe your hang?

-- mingo