Re: DLLs [OFFTOPIC]

Michael Ballbach (ballbach@lorien.ml.org)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:59:51 -0600 (MDT)

Well, I asked a question similair to this, except I was going to reinvent
the wheel and load the libraries at run time myself, after a few days
playing with elf headers, section headers and the like, I found out how
much of a b*tch it would be, I asked about it, and dl is the answer I got.
works marvelously, compile the object shared, and use dlopen(), dlsym(),
etc.. to manipulate it at run time. man dlopen, it'll tell ya all you need
to know.

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 12:29:09PM +0530, Somnath Roy wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there any guideline for writing DLLs in Linux ?
> >
> > Shared libraries? ELF?
> >
> > Get the libc source and look at the makefile(s).
> >

> I think the question was more directed towards the late binding
> aspects of DLLs. Shared ELF libraried are bound to an executable
> at link time. DLLs can be bound at link time (similar to the shared
> library) or they can be loaded (under Windows anyway) with calls to:
>
> CoLoadLibrary(char * lpszLibName, unsigned long bAutoFree);
> CoFreeLibrary(long hInst);
> CoFreeUnusedLibraries(void);
>
> This facilitates certain types of programming. The question then
> was probably, what Linux APIs can be used for late binding of a
> library (comparable to the above mentioned windows APIs).
>
> I don't know the answer, and this is off topic, but I would be
> interested in knowing the answer as well.
>
> -Erik
>
> --
> Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
> email: andersee@debian.org
> --This message was written using 73% post-consumer electrons--
>

> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

Michael A. Ballbach: N0ZTQ
ballbach@lorien.ml.org <--- PGP Key Here. (finger)
mikeb@vr1.com -- Office: (303)413-8846
http://ballbach.lorien.ml.org/

"I don't know how world war three will be fought, but world war four will
be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein.