Re: IBM Token Ring problem -- "large" data amount problems

Paul Norton (pnorton@ccnusa.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:19:28 -0700 (PDT)

Scott Smyth writes:
> We changed the client netware stuff to <=2000 MTU. It was set
> at 4292. Does this have major implications for slowing down the
> netware network?

I wouldn't think so, but I haven't performed any kind of performance
analysis on IPX networks.

> Is it possible to change the token ring driver
> to accept >2000 MTU to avoid the problem (assuming you changed
> the same thing on mars (netware emulator).

Not unless you're running a 2.1.10x kernel. The pre-2.1.109 kernel
allows an MTU as large as 17,848 bytes. I haven't ported the patch
back to 2.0.x.