Re: Linux to replace Windows CE?

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:32:16 +0200

From: Jeanette Pauline Middelink <middelin@polyware.nl>

>I think the problem here is not getting information on the SH3
>or whatever CPU is running the little beast, but getting info
>about the devices in the machine itself. You can bet that the
>machine is loaded with obsure little SMD devices of which only the
>manifactuer and its supplier have heard :)

Don't be so sure... This info is from the NEC homepage (VR4111 is used in
the palmtop Casio Cassiopeia E-10):

---
64-bit RISC Processor VR4111 for H/PC & Palm-size PC
130MIPS in an H/PC microprocessor
The VR4111 is a 64-bit RISC microprocessor designed for portable information
devices including H/PCs and Palm-size PCs compatible with
Microsoft®Windows®CE. The microprocessor provides both high-speed operation,
low power consumption and pin compatibility with conventional products.
<snip>
---
Notice "pin compatibility"? It's my guess that many H/PC use the same
hardware. Here are some more specifications:
---
CPU core: Compatible with VR4110 MIPS® RISC architecture, MIPS 16TM support
<snip>
Extended Bus: ISA-bus subset supported
Touch Panel I/F: A/D converter built in, directly connected to a panel
Keyboard I/F: 64/80/96 keys
Communication: SIU: 1ch 16550 interchangeable, DebugSIU: 1ch, IrDA: 1ch
4Mbps MAX
Modem: PCTEL HSP modem interface built-in
Audio I/F: Digital input and output. 10bit A/D, D/A converter built-in
<snip>
---
All of those are internal controllers of the CPU - more proof that generic
hardware *may* be used, and since this, in some cases, is provided by the
CPU itself, all documents should be within reach. In the beginning we'd only
need drivers for LCD displays with touch screen, keyboard (or keys), serial
port, and knowledge of how to get the CPU execute the kernel. I'd be glad to
contribute, but my knowledge and experience in this field is limited...

Side note: According the the Windows CE FAQ, the VR4111 CPU is supported by Windows CE in 32-bit mode only.

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)